The World Health Organization reports 1 in 3 women worldwide is subjected to physical or sexual violence in her lifetime: https://crimeandjusticenews.asu.edu/news/31-women-have-faced-violence-who-report-says
- Every 73 seconds, an American is sexually assaulted.
- Every 9 minutes, that victim is a child. –Rape Abuse Incest National Network (RAINN)
The impact of enhancing students’ social and emotional learning: A meta-analysis of school-based universal interventions – Collaborative for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning (CASEL}
Nation at Hope
UPMC Community Health Needs Assessment
- More than half (59.6 percent) of the ZIP codes represented in the UPMC Pinnacle Hospitals study area reported percentages above the nation (10.8 percent) of adult residents without a high school diploma.
- From 2007 to 2012, rates of emotional, behavioral, or developmental conditions in children in the U.S. and Pennsylvania both rose, with the Pennsylvania rate being slightly higher. In most recent years, U.S. saw a notable increase in the rate of 30 Any mental illness (AMI) is defined as having a diagnosable mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder, other than a developmental or substance use disorder, that met the criteria found in the 4th edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV). UPMC Pinnacle Hospitals CHNA 2018 34 children with emotional, behavioral, or developmental conditions while the rate in Pennsylvania declined; a positive sign (19.0 percent to 18.0 percent respectively).
- Health education related to understanding poor behaviors is necessary to instill in children at an early age. Teaching children the dangers of substance abuse and recognizing early signs related to mental health provides a pathway to learn about important health risks and conditions. Children readily grasp habits at an early age. Reinforcement along with healthy actions can change and reduce the likelihood of future poor behaviors. Health education aims to build on a framework of existing knowledge and attitudes. It sets out to reduce diseases and risky behaviors. Health education can help patients understand their own diagnosis and recovery stages as it provides an outline and furthers goals and objectives. Development of skills at an early age, understanding conditions, and aliments throughout life will create a better future for the individual. Health education should include physical, mental, social, and emotional health. Residents throughout the U.S. suffer from anxiety, depression, eating disorders, etc. and many do not understand what may be occurring physically. Having accessible facts and knowledge, along with a strong fostering environment, will help the individual and those around them.
- Individuals who have an education, in particular, a higher education (a bachelor’s degree or higher), tend to have strong employment security, earn a higher income, and hold an advantage for additional employment opportunities. Having an education also enables individuals to navigate the health care system for services, understand the importance of preventive care, make better health choices for themselves and their family, therefore, improving their own health and well-being.
Statistics on Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
Please check back for more information.