Over 95 years old and going strong!
YWCA is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and girls and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
YWCA Carlisle was founded by the Carlisle Civic Club and incorporated in 1919. In its long history of advocating for women and girls, the YWCA opened the first daycare center in the greater Carlisle Area, provided opportunities for teenage girls to develop leadership skills through a YW Teens program, offered fitness programs for women and girls in the early 1920s, started clubs for African American girls in the 1930’s, and provided food to transients during the Great Depression.
The first home of YWCA Carlisle was the Bosler House on West High Street. In 1972, it was determined that it would be financially prudent to move into a facility owned by the YMCA on South West Street. The YWCA shared this space and continued to grow with the addition of summer camps, preschool classes, and programs like Assertiveness Training for children. In 1990, it was determined that the YWCA had outgrown the space available and built a new facility at 301 G Street on property donated by the George family.
Today, YWCA Carlisle operates Sexual Assault/Rape Crisis Services of Cumberland County to aid victims of sexual assault along with various programs to empower women and girls. Youth programs including preschool, afterschool homework clubs and summer camps are also an important component of the service we provide to the community. Racial justice remains a primary focus as well with regular community discussions and youth events. The annual Race Against Racism fundraiser also acts as an awareness tool for the community.
YWCA Carlisle does not discriminate against any individual because of race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin or handicap.